Atlantic Zone Monitoring Program (AZMP)
This program was implemented in 1998. It involves the Gulf, Quebec, Maritimes and Newfoundland and Labrador regions of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
- Research document data
- Science Advisory Report: Oceanographic conditions in the Atlantic zone in 2017
- AZMP Publications
The program's aim is to collect and analyze the biological, chemical and physical field data that are necessary to:
- characterize and understand the causes of oceanic variability at the seasonal, inter-annual and decadal scales
- provide multidisciplinary data sets that can be used to establish relationships among the biological, chemical and physical variables
- provide adequate data to support the sound development of ocean activities
The sampling strategy is based on 4 components.
- Seasonal and opportunistic sampling along sections to quantify the oceanographic variability in the Canadian northwest Atlantic shelf region.
- Higher frequency temporal sampling at more accessible fixed sites to monitor the shorter time scale dynamics in representative areas.
- Fish survey and remote sensing data to provide broader spatial coverage and a context to interpret other data.
- Data from other existing monitoring programs, such as:
- toxic algae monitoring
- the water levels network
- Continuous Plankton Recorder lines
- nearshore long-term temperature monitoring
The data provided under this program can be redistributed and/or modified under the terms of the Government of Canada Open Data License Agreement.
The data are licensed as is. Fisheries and Oceans Canada:
- makes no representation
- gives no warranty whatsoever with respect to the data
- expressly disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose of the data
Fisheries and Oceans Canada assumes no obligation or liability whatsoever for the provision of updates to the data.
Data are made public as they become available. Users should check the current status of data availability under "Data per occupation" to determine whether data sets have been checked for completeness.
We suggest you cite Atlantic Zone Monitoring Program data from this website in a publication with the following reference:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada. (). Atlantic Zone Monitoring Program Website. Retrieved from Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
This citation should be done in addition to the direction under the page section labelled 'You must, where you do any of the above.'
Email your questions about the program to AZMP-PMZA@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
- Date modified: